Medical Marijuana Program
New Requirement for Doctor's
Medical Marijuana Doctor Attestation: Form
Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program
The California Department of Public Health's (CDPH) Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program (MMICP) was specifically established to create a State-authorized medical marijuana identification card (MMICP), along with a registry database for verification of qualified patients and their primary caregivers. Participation by patients and primary caregivers in this identification card program is voluntary. The MMICP Web-based registry allows law enforcement and the public to verify the validity of a qualified patient or primary caregiver's MMICP as authorization to possess, grow, transport, and/or use medical marijuana within California.
Who may apply?
This program is voluntary. You may apply with the program if you reside in a California county and your doctor recommends the use of medical marijuana for one or more serious conditions you suffer from as specified in number 4 below.
Where can I apply?
Public Health Department
Office of Vital Records
345 Camino del Remedio
3rd Floor, Building 4, Room 320
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
Can I walk in or do I need an appointment?
Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate walk-ins. Appointments are required, Please call to schedule an appointment.
(805) 681-5150 or (805) 681-5151
What documents do I need to apply for a Medical Marijuana ID card?
- A complete MMIC Application/Renewal form (CDPH 9042)
- Provide a valid government-issued photo identification card (such as a driver's license) issued to you. If you under the age of 18 and lack a photographic identification, you may substitute a certified copy of your birth certificate in place of the photo identification.
- Provide proof of your county residency with one of the following items bearing your name and current address within the county.
- A current rent/mortgage receipt
- Recent utility bill (gas, water, electric)
- A current California motor vehicle registration
What happens after I submit my application?
- We have 30 days to process.
- Once card is available, you will be contacted to come back and pick up your card.
How long is a MMIC valid?
Cards are good for a year from the date issued, as long as your doctor's recommendation is current and you are in compliance with your physician.
By Appointment Only
Business hours are from
9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
For more information, please call (805) 681-5150