Anytime a patient is treated by any of the Santa Barbara County Health Care Centers, a medical record is created. Your medical record is protected under state and federal privacy and confidentiality laws including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act commonly known as HIPAA.
The Health Information Program oversees your medical records and all requests for medical records.
How do I obtain a copy of my medical record?
A Release of Information Authorization/Request form must be completed and returned to any of the Santa Barbara County Health Care Centers
A Release of Information Authorization/Request form may be obtained either in person at any of the Health Care Centers, by calling the Health Care Center and request that one is mailed to you or click on this link - print, complete and mail back the request form to the Health Care Center for processing.
It is important that the Release of Information form be completed in its entirety to include:
- Full Name and Date of Birth
- What the information will be used for
- Name, address and phone number of the individual or organization to which you want the records released
- Identify which information is to be released
- Initials where required
- Time period for the information requested
- Your signature and date
Incomplete information may delay processing of your request, please be sure to review your request before submitting it.
All requests are processed through the Release of Information (ROI) department and usually take between 3 to 6 days to be processed and mailed out, depending on the volume of incoming requests. You can contact any Santa Barbara County Health Care Center front desk regarding the status of your Release of Information request.
Health Information is maintained according to retention guidelines which are as follows:
- Adults (age 18 and over) records are maintained for 10 years from the last date of service.
- Minors (up to the age18) records are maintained up to the age of majority (age 19) or for 10 years from the last date of service, whichever is longer.