Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to FAQ category:


Where can I find information about the Cachuma Lake Nature Cruises? How do I make or cancel a nature cruise reservation?
Please visit our Nature Cruise web page for information and schedules. To make or cancel a reservation Monday to Friday 9:00AM to 3:00PM, please call (805) 568-2460. After 3:00PM on Fridays and on Weekends, please call (805) 686-5055.

Are boats and kayaks available for rental?
Yes. Please visit our Boating page on our website for regulations and boat rentals.

What hiking trails are at Cachuma Lake?
Cachuma Lake has 5 hiking trails: Oak Canyon Trail, Mohawk Loop, Tequepis Trail, and Mohawk Area. All hiking trails except for Tequepis Trail are directly accessible from the recreation area.

How do I apply for a trailer storage at Cachuma Lake?
Please call us at (805)686-5051 for availability and pricing.

Where is the nearest gas station, convenience store, or restaurant?
The General Store at Cachuma Lake provides groceries, camping equipment, gasoline, and propane. At Jalama Beach, the Jalama Beach Store and Grill are located at the park. The closest gas station to Jalama Beach is in the city of Lompoc, 18 miles northwest.

Do you sell fishing licenses?
Yes. Please visit our Fishing page on our website for more information.

Are campfires allowed at the camping sites?
Yes. Campfires are permitted in established firepits and approved containers. Open ground fires are not allowed.

Are there showers at the camping sites?
Yes. It is $1.00 for 3 minutes of hot water. Most restrooms have showers. Please view the campground map for specific locations. There also is a private handicap shower available. Please call the front gate, and the park ranger will assist you.

Which sites are ADA/wheelchair accessible?
At Cachuma Lake: site 5, 212, 214, 298, 319, 351, 438, 440, Hawk & Merlin cabins, and Redwood yurt. At Jalama Beach: Cormorant cabin.

Am I allowed to swim in the lake?
No. Cachuma Lake is a domestic water supply, and swimming, water-skiing, windsurfing or any other body contact with the water is strictly prohibited.

Which sites have access to electricity?
All hook-up sites have electricity. All yurts and cabins have electrical plug-ins/outlets.

Are there grills or fire pits at the campsites?
There are fire pits available at all sites except in the full hookup sites (sites 1 to 121) at Cachuma Lake. You may bring your own grills (allowed in all sites except Cachuma 1 to 121.

Is there a fee to use the swimming pool at Cachuma Lake?
Yes. Fees are $3.00 per swimmer per session. There are two sessions: 12:00PM to 2:30PM & 3:00PM to 5:30PM.
Can I leave before my check-out time?
Yes. However, no refunds will be given for early departures.

Can I stay past my check-out time?
Late check-outs will not be accommodated for any site types. A penalty fee may be charged for visitors who stay past the check-out time.

I have a reservation for a tent or hookup site but will be arriving late. Will the office be open for me to check in?
If the office is closed when you arrive, you may go ahead and set up camp in your reserved site. However, please be courteous to others and remain quiet when setting up. Please check in at the Ranger Gate in the morning.

Can I check in early before 3:00PM on the day of my reservation?
At Cachuma Lake, you may ONLY check in before 3:00PM if you have a reservation and the site was not occupied the prior day. Due to high occupancy at Jalama Beach, there is no early check-in. Because of the limited parking space in the day-use area, parking for early campers with RVs and trailers may not be available prior to the 3:00PM check-in time.

I have a reservation for a cabin or yurt but will be arriving late. Will the office be open for me to pick up a key?
If you plan to arrive after 4:00PM, please call the front gate ahead of time to arrange for late key pick-up. Cachuma (805) 686-5055 or Jalama (805) 736-3504.
What are the fees for the group sites?
Each group area is different in size and fees. The fees and sizes are stated in each description.

Do I have to pay the entire fee when I book my reservation?
Payment for both the reservation fee and the site fee are due at the time of the reservation.

Which group sites have electricity?
Starfish Cove at Jalama, Lanford Memorial Grove, Apache Pines, Apache Sunrise and El Dorado Vista have electricity at Cachuma.

What amenities do the group camping sites provide?
All group areas have a large adjustable barbecue pit, a campfire ring and picnic tables under shade trees.
What is the maximum number of people allowed in a campsite?
Tent and hookup sites have a maximum of 8 people. For cabins, yurts and group camping, please refer to the specific site page for maximum occupancy.

Can more people join my campsite/yurt/cabin if it will exceed the maximum limit?
Please do not exceed the maximum occupancy in your site. The occupancy is strictly enforced.
Am I allowed to bring my pet? What are the regulations for bringing pets?
Pets are welcome! The pet fee is $3.00 per pet, per night. The pet fee for cabins is $20.00 per pet, per night with a maximum of 2 . Please provide a proof of rabies vaccination and note the maximum number of 2 pets. Pets must be leashed at all times, but there is an off-leash park available at Cachuma Lake. Please note that pets are not allowed at some cabins.
When is the last day I can request a modification/cancellation of my reservation?
3 business days prior to arrival day in order to receive a refund, less a cancellation fee and any reservation fees. All fees paid will be forfeited if a reservation is cancelled less than 3 business days prior to reservation/check-in date.

I did not receive a reservation confirmation letter. Can you resend me an email confirmation?
Please visit our Modification Request page and fill out a form. Make sure to include your reservation number, email address, phone number, and the name on the reservation for a faster response.

How do I make a camping reservation?
Please visit our Online Reservations site.

How far in advance can I make a camping reservation?
Camping reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance.

Is there a minimum number of nights required for a camping reservation?
There is a two-night minumum stay required for weekends (Friday or Saturday). One-night stays are allowed Sunday through Thursday. There is a three-night minimum stay required for holiday weekends.

Can I book a single night only if a Friday or Saturday is available between two adjacent reservations?
If our availability calendar shows an opening for a single night on a Friday or Saturday, please call (805) 568-2460 to make this reservation.

How do I check which sites are available?
You can search availability by entering desired date(s), park and site type in the online reservation system.

How do I find the next available vacancy for a specific site?
In the online reservation system, click on the desired site icon on the interactive map and it will display a calendar of available dates.
What types of hookups are available at the campsites?
At Cachuma, Full hookup = Water, Electricity & Sewer and Partial hookup = Water & Electricity. At Jalama, Electricity only and public Water & Sewer station.

Are there any 50 amp hookup sites?
Only at Cachuma sites 11, 34, 59, 62, 64, 81, 89, 150, 151, 154, 155, 156, & 157.

Can I have a tent in my hookup site?
At Cachuma Lake, you can have a tent in perimeter hookup sites: 1-6, 8, 12-34 even only, 62-72 even only, 81-121 odd only. Tents are also allowed in hookup sites 125-159. At Jalama, tents are allowed in hookup sites within the site's perimeters.

How many tents can I have within my site?
There is no restriction on the number of tents for sites that allow them. However, you must stay within the perimeters of your campsite and must not exceed the occupancy limits for each campsite. Tents are not permitted next to cabins or yurts.

How do I know if my site is shaded?
Your site description will state full shade, partial shade or none.
Is a trailer considered one vehicle?
Yes. For example, a truck pulling a trailer is considered one vehicle.

Are non-motorized trailers (towed-in) considered a second vehicle?
Non-motorized trailers are not considered separate vehicles and will not incur any additional charges.

Am I allowed to bring an additional vehicle?
Yes, each site is allowed one additional vehicle and will be charged a $10 joiner fee per night. If you have more than two vehicles, or exceed the maximum number of vehicles in a group site, there is an Over-Flow Parking Lot at Cachuma. There is no Over-Flow Parking at Jalama. The maximum number of vehicles is strictly enforced.

Will my truck / trailer / RV fit at the site?
The size limitations vary at different sites. Please make your reservations accordingly.

Is a motorcycle considered one vehicle?
What is a walk-in site? How do I get a walk-in site?
Walk-in sites are single campsites that MAY NOT BE RESERVED online, through the Call Center, or through the Jalama Gate. Campers may register and check in to an available walk-in site as soon as the gate opens at 6:00AM. There will be no wait lists or camp calls. Campers must register and pay for their entire stay upon check-in and will not be able to renew day-to-day. The person whose name appears on the campsite must be the same person registering, checking in, and occupying the site. Once a walk-in site is sold, it must be occupied by a tent, trailer and/or vehicle no later than 3:00 PM on the date of purchase. Generally, walk-in site availability is greater earlier in the week, and any customer with a reservation will not be allowed to transfer to a walk-in site.

Is there a way to find out how many walk-in sites are available?
You can give the Ranger Gate a call at (805) 736-3504.

How many walk-in RV sites and tent sites are available?
At Jalama, there are 7 basic and 5 hook-up sites. All sites at Cachuma Lake are reservable.
Can I have a tent on my yurt or cabin site?
Tents are not allowed next to any of the cabins. Tents are allowed next to all the yurts with the exception of the Redwood and Pine yurts.

What should I bring when staying in the yurts or cabins?
Please provide your own bedding and bath towels.

What amenities are provided in the yurts and cabins?
Please visit our Cachuma Cabins and Jalama Cabins pages.

Is cooking allowed inside the yurt?
Cooking is not allowed inside the yurt. There is a barbeque, picnic table, water spigot and campfire ring outside. There are also electrical outlets outside for cooking appliances.


Can I add a bouncer? Which areas allowed to have bouncer? What are the bouncer vendors?
Please visit our Bouncer Information page for more information.

What are the hours at day-use parks?
Day-use park hours are 8:00AM to sunset.

Can I go over the maximum capacity noted at the courthouse or at a day use park site? What happens if I go over the maximum capacity?
No, maximum capacity is set for the safety of the park users and in the event of an emergency. If capacity is exceeded, your event could be shut down.

Can we bring tables and chairs to create our own site if none of the picnic areas are available?
No, common areas may not be used for private groups and for the safety of all park goers open areas must remain open with access to emergency personnel in the event of an emergency.

Can we have a bonfire on the beach?
No, bonfires are prohibited on all County Day-Use Parks.
Do you make reservations for Girsh Park or Stow Grove in Goleta?
No. Girsh Park is handled privately 968-2773, ext. 1 and Stow Grove is handled by City of Goleta at 968-6769.

Do you make reservations for Elings Park, Shoreline Park, Alice Keck, Oak Park or any City Parks?
City parks reservations can be made with the City of SB at 564-5418.

Can we put up a day shade or a pop-up?
yes, as long as the pop-up is free standing and in your reserved area.
How do I make a day-use or picnic reservation?
Please visit our Online Reservations site.

How far in advance can I make a day-use reservation?
Day-use reservations can be made up to one year in advance.

Online Reservations Help

How do I cancel my reservation?
Please log onto your Online Account and click on "I want to cancel or change a reservation."

What is the cancellation policy?
Reservations must be cancelled a minimum of three (3) business days in advance of the reservation/check-in date in order to receive a refund, less a cancellation fee and non-refundable reservation fee.
All fees paid will be forfeited if a reservation is cancelled less than three (3) business days prior to reservation/check-in date.

I have to cancel my reservation due to a family emergency
Please email for further assistance.

Is there a cancellation list?
No. The most efficient way to see cancellations is through our availability calendar. Our calendars update in real time.
How do I change the date / site of my reservation?
Please visit our Modification Request page.

I want to shorten / extend my stay
Our modification policy is as folows: Changes to confirmed camping park reservations must be requested at least three (3) calendar days in advance of reservation/check-in date. Camping Park reservations may be extended (subject to availability), and shortened by changing the departure date only. Due to the popularity of our camping sites and facilities and the six month advance limit, reservations may not be shortened by changing the check-in date.

Can I transfer my reservation to someone else?
No. Reservations are non-transferrable. However, you can forward your reservation confirmation to your friends and family who will be joining you. The name on the reservation is the responsible party. You may add a joiner who will pay a joiner fee of $10.00 upon arrival.
My reservation is in a "Pending" or "Awaiting Payment" status
Please call us at (805) 568-2460 to make a payment.

I want a request for a refund
Please email us at for further assistance.

What is my refund status?
If you have received a confirmation and a pending refund email, please allow 5-10 business days for your refund to appear.

What is my refund status?
If the original transaction was made over 120 days ago, please allow more time for us to process your transaction. If you are receiving a check, please allow 4-6 weeks for your refund check.
I want to reserve online, but the website is not working.
Please make sure you've updated to the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. If you still can't get access to our website, please try again later, or call us at (805) 568-2460.

I can't log into my account
Please call us at (805) 568-2460.

I'm getting 'HTTP 404 Error'
Most likely, there is an error with your web browser. Please try again later, or with a different browser.

I have not received a confirmation email
Please call us at (805) 568-2460.

Help! I can't find/forgot my account information, what should I do?
Please call us at (805) 568-2460.

Special Events

How far in advance can I make a special event reservation?
Special Events can be made up to 18 months in advance.


Can we have live music in the parks or on courthouse grounds?
No, amplified sound of any kind is not allowed in county parks, as it can disturb other park goers and surrounding neighborhoods. Acoustic music may be utilized during wedding ceremonies at the Santa Barbara Courthouse.

Can I have my wedding reception on courthouse grounds?
Yes, please contact the Special Events Coordinator at for additional detailed information.

Can I do a champagne toast on courthouse grounds after my ceremony?
Yes, please contact the Special Events Coordinator at for additional detailed information.

Can I reserve both time slots at the courthouse (11:00AM-2:00PM and 3:00PM-6:00PM), so I can have my reception on the courthouse grounds?
Yes, please contact the Special Events Coordinator at for additional detailed information.

Can I block off the walk way (walk way Anacapa Arch or Mural Room doors) to keep people from walking through during my wedding?
No, the courthouse must remain accessible to the public at all times.

Does the "no amplified sound rule" at the courthouse cover microphones for the officiant?
Yes, this includes officiants.

Does the no amplified sound rule apply to music playing through a cell phone that is connected to a small speaker?
Yes, this includes small speakers.

Does the courthouse provide wedding rehearsal space?
No, informal rehearsals can be done but the public may not be kept off/out of space, public may not be asked to leave space and if there are other events-weddings going on, please respect those paid reservations.

Can I go over the maximum capacity noted at the courthouse or at a day use park site? What happens if I go over the maximum capacity?
No, the maximum capacity is set for the safety of the park users and in the event of an emergency. Please note that violations may result your event getting shut down.

How far in advance do we need to apply for a wedding license?
County parks is not involved in the wedding license process. Please contact SB County Clerk at 805-568-2250.

Do we have to have our wedding license before we arrive at the courthouse or can we get it at the courthouse?
For information on the marriage license process please contact SB County Clerk at 805-568-2250.

Does the courthouse provide chairs for our wedding ceremony?
No, the courthouse does not provide set-up or wedding coordinator services.

Does the courthouse provide someone to perform our ceremony?
Monday through Friday, bridal parties may contact the County Clerk for assistance with finding a judge to perform their ceremony. Saturday through Sunday, bridal parties are responsible for finding their own officiants.

Does the courthouse have a staging area (green room) for bridal parties to get ready?
No, the courthouse does not have a staging area, however courthouse restrooms may be used if they are open.
How far in advance can I make a wedding reservation?
Wedding ceremony reservations can be made up to one year in advance of wedding date. Wedding receptions may be made at any time.