The Housing and Community Development division uses federal, state, and local funding to provide a variety of public service programs and public facility projects including Affordable Housing, Grants Administration, and Redevelopment Successor Agency Housing Fund activities.News and Announcements
News & Announcements
- HCD invites public comments on the Draft 2019-2020 Action Plan and Draft 2018-19 Action Plan Substantial Amendment for the Santa Barbara County HOME Consortium and CDBG Urban County Partnership. These, together with the Human Services Commission funding recommendations, will be presented to the Board of Supervisors for approval at the June 4, 2019 meeting. Written comments may be submitted to County CSD, 123 E. Anapamu St, Suite 217, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, via facsimile at (805) 560-1091, or e-mailed to HCD@co.santa-barbara.ca.us.
- Point In Time (PIT) Count
Results of the biennial Point in Time (PIT) Count of persons experiencing homelessness were released today. Conducted on January 24, 2019 by the Santa Maria/Santa Barbara County Continuum of Care (CoC), the Count is mandated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and serves as a snapshot of homelessness in the county on a single night. The County and CoC provided oversight of the PIT Count, working closely with Northern Santa Barbara County United Way Home for Good, Applied Survey Research, Simtech Solutions, and more than 500 volunteers. To view the initial results, you can find a Press Release HERE and a more detailed presentation HERE. A more comprehensive report will be available later in the year.
Countywide, 1,803 persons were counted with the largest number counted in the city of Santa Barbara. The count includes 1,133 persons experiencing unsheltered homelessness and 670 persons living in emergency shelters or transitional housing. In 2017, the official PIT count was 1,860. There was a notable shift between sheltered and unsheltered persons between 2017 and 2019.
To learn more about, local efforts and planning to address homelessness, the Phase 1 Community Action Plan to Address Homelessness is available HERE.
- The Human Services Commission and Community Development Block Grant funding recommendations are available HERE.
- Housing Capital project Letters of Intent were submitted in response to the County's 2019 NOFA. For a list of submitted projects click
HERE. Projects will be reviewed by County HCD staff and, if project development milestones met, will be later reviewed by the County's Capital Loan Committee, and the Board of Supervisors for funding reservation.
- Housing and Community Development releases a Notice of Funding Availability for several grants and loans. Applications are completed in ZoomGrants, links to each of the applications can be found in the NOFA.
- The County of Santa Barbara, Division of Housing and Community Development recently conducted a Notice of Funding Availability process to solicit proposals for the County's application to the State of California for their 2018 Emergency Solutions Grant Program (2018 State ESG). On July 19th the Continuum of Care (CoC) Review and Rank Committee met to make recommendations for the allocation of the County's estimated award amount of $326,955. Click
here to see the Committee's recommendations and for more information.
- Affordable Housing Resale Units
- Income Guidelines
- Additional Housing Resources
- How To Apply
- Homeless Assistance Programs
- Phase 1 Homeless Plan
- 2019 Point In Time (PIT) Count
Santa Barbara County 2-1-1
Dial 2-1-1 to get connected to a specialist for personalized assistance. Free, Confidential, 24/7.
The Federal Fair Housing Act and California state law protects your rights.
Foreclosure Assistance & Prevention
The Department of Housing and Community Development works closely with local community organizations that offer assistance.