The Santa Barbara Public Defender's Office employs a staff of 9 highly skilled investigators. They are an integral part of the defense team. Investigators gather information that is used to assist the attorneys in preparing cases for court. Their duties include the following:
- Locate and interview witnesses;
- Serve subpoenas for documents and records, such as surveillance camera footage, cell phone, text, social media records, relevant medical records and corporate records;
- Photograph and diagram crime scenes and other locations;
- Collect and preserve evidence;
- Serve subpoenas for witnesses at trial and other hearings;
Investigators work under the direction of the Chief Investigator. They work for the public defender and they are obligated to maintain the confidential communications between the client and attorney. Our investigators are a critical part of the Office of the Public Defender.